Reminder - 2024 CUSMA/USMCA/FTA Blanket Certificate of Origin Renewal
blog | Nov 02, 2023
With 2023 coming to an end, Delmar International would like to take this opportunity to remind its clients to complete and/or obtain new 2024 CUSMA/USMCA and any other free trade agreements (FTA) covering applicable products being imported into the US, Canada or Mexico. If you have already completed them, please disregard this notice.
To maintain CUSMA/USMCA/FTA benefits, including duty free status, importers should ensure that their imported goods are covered by an updated certificate(s) covering 2024. Importers typically renew blanket free trade agreement certificates on a calendar year basis (Jan 1, 2024 – Dec 31, 2024).
A CUSMA/USMCA/FTA certificate is considered a legal international trade document and should be validated and signed by an individual with the appropriate knowledge and authority.
Valid 2024 certificates should be provided to Delmar by December 31, 2023 to ensure ongoing benefits. Without updated certificates on file, importers could face higher duty rates on imported goods.
- New 2024 USMCA/FTA certificates for shipments entering the United States may be provided to Delmar via email at email@example.com.
- New 2024 CUSMA/FTA certificates for shipments entering Canada or Mexico may be provided to Delmar via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon receipt, CUSMA or free trade agreement certificates will be reviewed under our Compliance & Renewal Program.
Delmar will take the following steps to support our clients’ duty minimization and import compliance programs:
- Review your certificate for accuracy and completeness
- Identify common errors and possible issues
- Provide feedback to clients if the certificate is invalid or requires correction
- Load valid certificates into our system for ease of access and ongoing maintenance
- Maintain on file for the specified period per customs regulations
We will be able to assist you in the following areas:
- Qualifying your imported goods to ensure they are considered as originating under CUSMA/other free trade agreements.
- If you are interested, simply send us the bills of material (BOM) for each finished product and we will advise if the finished product qualifies for duty-free treatment under CUSMA.
- Solicitation services for free trade agreements from your vendors/suppliers.
Delmar encourages its clients and all importers to review these important year-end matters for applicability to their specific trade programs and to take appropriate action as needed.
For additional information and assistance, please contact your local Delmar Representative or reply to the following email addresses: